Sunday, July 12, 2009

Milestone

We've been having a BLAST this summer, the boys and I.  Unfortunately, after a trip to visit my family around Memorial Day, I haven't been able to find our camera, but we just got a new one, so I'll start taking pics to catch up on the fun we've been having.  


I was so broken-hearted to not have a camera to capture a very special moment for Spencer: his first piano recital!  I've been teaching him for about a year, and throughout the school year he would practice most mornings before school for 15 min.  Most times he'd complain and I'd have to pull out some serious incentives, but it's worth it for me to have a well-rounded son!  Our library hosts many fun summer activities for school-age children, one of which was a Talent Show.  Spencer said he wanted to play the piano, so we prepared two songs, which involved lots of practice (more than the usual 15 min).  I'm so proud of Spencer for being brave enough to play, and for being so diligent with his practicing (because he really doesn't love it, or even like it on most days)!  

He was spectacular at the Talent Show; he was calm even though there were 80 people in the room (I counted), and he played flawlessly.  I wanted to run up to him and smother him with kisses and hugs, but I held back.  Fast forward a couple weeks to today.  Spencer spontaneously, without any bribe or coersion, sat down and played the piano for a full 20 minutes!!  And it's not even one of our practice days! This is a serious milestone for him, to play for sheer pleasure; to get so absorbed in the playing that he loses track of time.  It reminds me how much I love music, and how I love to get lost in it.  It was a special moment for me.

3 comments:

Jaimie said...

That is so neat. Tell Spencer that I am so proud of him for being so dedicated and practicing so hard. He truly has your love of music Emily... and maybe a little of his Grandma Shirla's love for it too.

Jenna said...

That is awesome. I didn't know that you had been teaching him. I wish so bad that I knew how to play the piano. Maybe someday :) Love you Em. Hope you guys are all doing well. I miss you.

Marcie said...

Em that is AMAZING. Good for Spence and good for you. What a wonderful fulfilling memory this will always be for you knowing you helped develop this talent in your son. I'd like to say we want to hear him play when you all come....BUT.... ya know how many musical instruments we have at our house. Do ipods count?