Sunday, March 14, 2010

Celebration of Spencer!

Since I'm waaaaaaaay behind on blogging, I'm not going to overwhelm myself by trying to recap ALL the fun events I haven't written about. I'll just touch on a couple highlights of winter, the first of which happened shortly after Christmas. On January 3, Spencer turned 7!! We had a fun family party, going to Chuck-E-Cheese and eating a lemon-berry baseball cake (his choice!). I want to make this post a "Celebration of Spencer". These are some of the things that make Spencer such an outstanding boy:

1. He is, and always has been, sensitive to others' needs. He is aware of when others are hurting or sad, and tries his hardest to help them.

2. He is a great example to his younger brothers. He loves teaching them and helping them. He loves making them laugh. Spencer has an amazing ability to motivate Mikey to clean a room or get a chore done (a HUGE accomplishment!) by making a game out of it.

3. Spencer is a good student. He loves to learn, works hard at school, and takes pride in doing good work. He has become an excellent reader. He has also been taking piano lessons (from a not-so-skilled-or-patient mother!), and even though he doesn't love it, he is consistent with practicing and has moments of enjoyment...like playing the "Harry Potter" theme song at a ward talent show recently!

4. Spencer is an inventor! He is constantly building things with legos, blocks, K'nex, Tinker Toys, or scrapwood from the garage. He likes to create little worlds, cars and planes, and "robots". He also loves building forts out of couch cushions and blankets. He seems most fulfilled when he's creating things. He likes to hum to himself while he works, and I love hearing his happy-creating tunes!

5. Spencer is an artist. When he's not building something, he's usually drawing. He mostly draws things that he makes up himself--little characters--and will tell a story about them.

6. Spencer loves to play sports and romp around outside. He loves to ride his bike, play football, baseball, and skateboard.

7. Spencer loves people. He loves to talk and express himself, and he also loves knowing what's going on in others' lives. I've loved this past year of his life because I feel like he's become more of a friend--someone who is fun to talk to and joke with. It is so nice to have him around, especially since Jaron is gone so much. I sure love my buddy Spencer!

8. Spencer continues to develop a love for God. He has a sense of God's love for him, and he has moments of desiring closeness with the Divine.

9. Jaron and I feel SO incredibly blessed to have Spencer in our family! He makes us so happy!


4 comments:

Janene said...

We love that little man too! And CAN'T believe he's already 7!!

Jenna said...

I can't believe that Spence is already 7. It seems like just the other day that he was born. I remember when you were pregnant with him. I wish that I would have been there to give him a big Aunt Jenna hug. Give him one for me now and tell him that Aunt Jen loves him :)

Merideth Sullivan said...

I really can't believe that he's old enough to be seven! I remember the first time I met you guys and he sang I Am a Child of God for me. I still remember how cute it was!

Jaimie said...

Spencer is such a special boy. I love him so much.